Inspiring Marilyn Monroe Quotes On Love And Life
1. “I don’t forgive people because I’m weak, I forgive them because I am strong enough to know people make mistakes.”
2. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
3. “For those who are poor in happiness, each time is a first time; happiness never becomes a habit.”
4. “A girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her.”
5. “Always remember to smile and look up at what you got in life.”
6. “A wise girl knows her limits, a smart girl knows that she has none.”
7. “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.”
8. “That’s the way you feel when you’re beaten inside. You don’t feel angry at those who’ve beaten you. You just feel ashamed.”
9. “I don’t stop when I’m tired. I only stop when I’m done.”
10. “Boys think girls are like books, If the cover doesn’t catch their eye they won’t bother to read what’s inside.”
11. “A strong man doesn’t have to be dominant toward a woman. He doesn’t match his strength against a woman weak with love for him. He matches it against the world.”
12. “When you’re young and healthy you can plan on Monday to commit suicide, and by Wednesday you’re laughing again.”
13. “Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one.”
14. “You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”
15. “Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.”
16. “I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.”
17. “The nicest thing for me is sleep, then at least I can dream.”
18. “I don’t mind making jokes, but I don’t want to look like one.”
19. “I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.”
20. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.”
21. “A friend tells you what you want to hear; a best friend tells you the truth.”
22. “This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends – they’ll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything – they’re your true best friends. Don’t let go of them.”
23. “I don’t look at myself as a commodity, but I’m sure a lot of people have.”
24. “I only know I want to be wonderful.”
25. “Always, always, always believe in yourself. Because if you don’t then who will, sweetie?”
26. “I learned to walk as a baby and I haven’t had a lesson since.”
27. “It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone – so far.”
28. “If you can make a woman laugh, you can make her do anything.”
29. “I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let people fool themselves. They didn’t bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn’t argue with them. They were obviously loving somebody I wasn’t.”
30. “Keep smiling because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.”
31. “We are all stars but we must learn how to shine.”
32. “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
33. “If I am a star, the people made me a star.”
34. “Men who think that a woman’s past love affairs lessen her love for them are usually stupid and weak.”
35. “I think that love and work are the only things that really happen to us.”
36. “Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world.”
37. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
38. “I’m pretty but not beautiful. I sin but I’m not the devil. I’m good but I’m not an angel.”
39. “Always be yourself. Retain individuality; listen to the truest part of yourself.”
40. “To all the girls that think you’re fat – because you’re not a size zero you’re the beautiful one. It’s society who’s ugly.”
41. “I am not a victim of emotional conflicts. I am human.”
42. “It’s nice to be included in people’s fantasies but you also like to be accepted for your own sake.”
43. “Sweetie, if you’re going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty.”
44. “Be real, be yourself, be unique, be true, be honest, be humble, be happy…”
45. “I’d like to show that I can get publicity without using my ass or getting fired from a picture.”
46. “I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot!”
47. “Your clothes should be tight enough to show you’re a woman but loose enough to show you’re a lady.”
48. “All a girl really wants is for one guy to prove to her that they are not all the same.”
49. “I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made.”
50. “If you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best.”
51. “There isn’t anybody that looks like me without clothes on.”
52. “Everyone’s a star and deserves the right to twinkle.”
53. “I want to do the best that I can do in that moment, when the camera starts, until it stops.”
54. “I think there’s two things in human beings… that they want to be alone, but they also want to be together.”
55. “I dress for men. A woman looks at your clothes critically. A man appreciates them.”
56. “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them anyway.”
57. “The way you carry yourself is influenced by the way you feel inside. You must feel attractive to be attractive.”
58. “She was a girl who knew how to be happy even when she was sad. And that’s important.”
59. “I don’t mind living in a man’s world as long as I can be a woman in it.”
60. “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.”
61. “I don’t mind being burdened with being glamorous and sexual. But what goes with it can be a burden.”
62. “I restore myself when I’m alone.”
63. “I’m selfish, impatient, and insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times, hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you don’t deserve me at my best.”
64. “Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn’t that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you.”
65. “I’m very definitely a woman and I enjoy it.”
66. “I’ve spent most of my life running away from myself.”
67. “Fear is stupid, so are regrets.”
68. “First, I’m trying to prove to myself that I’m a person. Then maybe I’ll convince myself that I’m an actress.”
69. “Dogs never bite me. Just humans.”
70. “Frankly, I’ve never considered my own figure so exceptional; until quite recently, I seldom gave it any thought at all.”
Marilyn Monroe Quotes
In Hollywood a girl’s virtue is much less important than her hairdo. You’re judged by how you look, not by what you are. Hollywood’s a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for kiss, and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty.
I’m very definitely a woman and I enjoy it.
Everybody is always tugging at you. They’d all like a sort of chunk out of you. I don’t think they realize it, but it’s like ‘grrr do this, grr do that…’But you do want to stay intact and on two feet.
A woman can’t be alone. She needs a man. A man and a woman support and strengthen each other. She just can’t do it by herself.
I always felt insecure and in the way, but most of all I felt scared. I guess I wanted love more than anything else in the world.
If I’m a star, then the people made me a star.
Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you’re a human being, you feel, you suffer.
Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn’t that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you.
Fame will go by and, so long, I’ve had you, Fame. If it goes by, I’ve always known it was fickle.
The most unsatisfactory men are those who pride themselves on their virility and regard sex as if it were some form of athletics at which you can win cups. It is a woman’s spirit and mood a man has to stimulate in order to make sex interesting. The real lover is the man who can thrill you just by touching your head or smiling into your eyes or by just staring into space.
First, I’m trying to prove to myself that I’m a person. Then maybe I’ll convince myself that I’m an actress.
This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up.
With fame, you know, you can read about yourself, somebody else’s ideas about you, but what’s important is how you feel about yourself – for survival and living day to day with what comes up.
I want to grow old without facelifts… I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I’ve made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you’d never complete your life, would you? You’d never wholly know you.
Arthur Miller wouldn’t have married me if I had been nothing but a dumb blonde.
No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they’re pretty, even if they aren’t.
I think that when you are famous every weakness is exaggerated.
Respect is one of life’s greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don’t have that?
I won’t be satisfied until people want to hear me sing without looking at me. Of course, that doesn’t mean I want them to stop looking.
I’m one of the world’s most self-conscious people. I really have to struggle.
Fame is fickle, and I know it. It has its compensations but it also has its drawbacks, and I’ve experienced them both.
Sometimes I feel my whole life has been one big rejection.
I think that sexuality is only attractive when it’s natural and spontaneous.
A man is more frank and sincere with his emotions than a woman. We girls, I’m afraid, have a tendency to hide our feelings.
My work is the only ground I’ve ever had to stand on. I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation but I’m working on the foundation.
I’m one of the world’s most self-conscious people. I really have to struggle.
I don’t consider myself an intellectual. And this is not one of my aims. But I admire intellectual people.
I’m a failure as a woman. My men expect so much of me, because of the image they’ve made of me– and that I’ve made of myself– as a sex symbol. They expect bells to ring and whistles to whistle, but my anatomy is the same as any other woman’s and I can’t live up to it.
A wise girl kisses but doesn’t love, listens but doesn’t believe, and leaves before she is left.
I don’t mind living in a man’s world, as long as I can be a woman in it.
If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question, I’ve got to follow it through, what am I supposed to do, look intelligent?
It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone — so far.
I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot!
Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.
If you’re gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.
I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let people fool themselves. They didn’t bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn’t argue with them. They were obviously loving somebody I wasn’t.
It’s not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.
I love to do the things the censors won’t pass.
When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them.
I don’t mind making jokes, but I don’t want to look like one.
I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else.
It’s often just enough to be with someone. I don’t need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You’re not alone.
Dogs never bite me. Just humans.
In spite of everything life is not without hope.
A girl doesn’t need anyone that doesn’t need her.
The body is meant to be seen, not all covered up.
All we demanded was our right to twinkle.
I don’t mind being burdened with being glamorous and sexual. Beauty and femininity are ageless and can’t be contrived, and glamour, although the manufacturers won’t like this, cannot be manufactured. Not real glamour; it’s based on femininity.
All a girl really wants is for one guy to prove to her that they are not all the same.
Ever notice how ‘What the hell’ is always the right answer?
I don’t stop when I’m tired. I only stop when I’m done.
Sex is part of nature. I go along with nature.
How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.
Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.
What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course.
Boys think girls are like books, If the cover doesn’t catch their eye they won’t bother to read what’s inside.
Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.
Who said nights were for sleep?
It’s all make believe, isn’t it?