Come along black cat lovers and lose yourself in the powerful magic of black.
These quotes appreciate the underrated beauty of the black cat. Repeat some of these with your feline friends and have a wonderful time.
It’s disheartening how this world has attached negative labels, and a superstitious belief to black cats. Many black cats live their life alone because of this. Old sayings declare that if a black cat crosses your path, it is bad luck. Instead, we should come together for black cat appreciation day (17 August) to show our care and compassion for black cats as many people do. A black cat in the house or a black panther for that matter, is a comfort to the eyes and way more than the superstitious label that precedes them. Black cats are actually good luck especially if black cat appears at your door, it is a sign of good luck!
So, my fellow black cat lovers, read these black cat quotes, including some witch quotes, Halloween quotes and bad luck quotes as you play with your furry friend in the garden.
Quotes About Black Cats
These famous black cat quotes from an author like Harold Monro or Groucho Marx or Mencken will enlighten your world. The analogy of a black cat and a philosopher, author, theologian or witches and their proverbs about black cats, will surely make your day.
1. “Black cat or white cat: If it can catch mice, it’s a good cat.”
– Deng Xiaoping.
2. “Animals like crows and black cats are not ominous at all; it is the men’s superstitious mind which is the inauspicious one.”
– Mehmet Murat Ildan.
3. “Forecasting future events is often like searching for a black cat in an unlit room, that may not even be there.”
– Steve Davidson.
4. “Black cat on a fence; Halloween two days hence.”
– Rusty Fischer.
5. “Black cats were created to give everyone the opportunity to be owned by a mini-panther.”
6. “When black cats prowl and pumpkins gleam, may luck be yours on Halloween.”
7. “A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.”
– Groucho Marx.
8. “Whenever the cat of the house is black, the lasses of lovers will have no lack.”
– English Proverb.
9. “Philosophy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat. Metaphysics is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn’t there.”
– Black Cat Analogy.
10. “Theology is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn’t there, and shouting “I found it!” Science is like being in a dark room looking for a black cat while using a flashlight.”
– Black Cat Analogy.
11. “Any great truth can – and eventually will – be expressed as a cliche – a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance, my grandmother used to say, ‘The black cat is always the last one off the fence.’”
– Solomon Short.
12. “This latter was a remarkably large and beautiful animal, entirely black, and sagacious to an astonishing degree.”
– Edgar Allan Poe, ‘The Black Cat’.
13. “Nikos thought himself to be a very rational man, a man who did not believe that his good luck or bad luck was in any way changed by black cats, walking under ladders, spilling salt, or opening umbrellas inside the house.”
– Chris Rose, ‘The Broken Mirror, The Black Cat And Lots Of Good Luck’.
14. “Beware of the night, child. All cats are black in the dark.”
– Jean Genet, ‘The Blacks: A Clown Show’.
15. “Black cats are certainly bad omens for enemies and good luck for friends.”
– Shankar Gr.
16. “One thing was certain, that the white kitten had had nothing to do with it – it was the black kitten’s fault entirely.”
– Lewis Carroll, ‘Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There’.
17. “Actually, when I was little I even dreamed about riding a black cat.”
– Cassandra Peterson, ‘Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark actor’.
18. “My old black cat, he passed away this morning. He never knew what a heartache was…woke up late and he danced till noon. If questioned why, answered just because…he never spoke much, preferring silence. Eight lost lives was all he had.”
– Ian S. Anderson, ‘Old Black Cat’.
19. “When the tea is brought at five o’clock, and all the neat curtains are drawn with care, the little black cat with bright green eyes is suddenly purring there.”
– Harold Monro.
Best Of The Black Cat Quotes
These black cat quotes will bring a smile on your face and make you feel like cuddling your black furry buddies even more!
20. “Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that is not there, and finding it.”
– Oscar Wilde.
21. “The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
22. “A black cat passing by the crossroad can stop hundreds of people, what a red light on traffic signal has failed to do for a long time.”
– Nitya Prakash.
23. “When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers, ’tis near Halloween.”
24. “A black cat will bring its owner good luck.”
– New England Historical Society.
25. “Sometimes it happens that a black cat lets you pass in front of it.”
26. “Forecasting future events is often like searching for a black cat in an unlit room, that may not even be there.”
– Steve Davidson.
27. “With the certitude of a true believer, Vellya Paapen had assured the twins that there was no such thing in the world as a black cat. He said that there were only black cat shaped holes in the universe.”
– Arundhati Roy.
28. “Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn’t there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything.”
-Robert A. Heinlein.
Quotes For Your Wonderful Black Cat
These quotes will make you fall in love with your black furry buddies all over once again. Indeed black cats are magically wonderful creatures. So, live in that magic and have a great read!
29. “Are these black cats like the hare?
No. They’re smaller; they only want me to play with them.”
– Evangeline Walton.
30. “In a cat’s eye, all things belong to cats.”
– Joseph Wood Krutch.
31. “Time spent with cats is never wasted.”
– Sigmund Freud.
32. “A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn’t there. A theologian is the man who finds it.”
– H.L. Mencken.
33. “I saw an injured black cat. God knows, who has crossed her path.”
– Ljupka Cvetanova, ‘The New Land’.
34. “Story collectors tend to be superstitious. Knock on wood, black cats, four leaf clovers… that sort of thing. After all, superstitions are the little stories we tell ourselves to make sense of our chaotic world.”
– Kristin O’Donnell Tubb, ‘The Story Collector’.
35. “With my aversion to this cat, however, its partiality for myself seemed to increase.”
– Edgar Allan Poe, ‘The Black Cat’.
36. “A black cat among roses, phlox, lilac-misted under a quarter moon, the sweet smells of heliotrope and night-scented stock.”
– Amy Lowell.
Black Cat Quotes
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.
In a cat’s eye, all things belong to cats.
Animals like crows, owls or black cats are not ominous at all; it is the men’s superstitious mind which is the inauspicious one!
Black cat or white cat: If it can catch mice, it’s a good cat
When the tea is brought at five o’clock
And all the neat curtains are drawn with care,
The little black cat with bright green eyes
Is suddenly purring there.
As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind.
A black cat among roses, phlox, lilac-misted under a quarter moon, the sweet smells of heliotrope and night-scented stock. The garden is very still. It is dazed with moonlight, contented with perfume.
It doesn’t matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.
Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn’t there, and finding it.
Actually, when I was little I even dreamed about riding a black cat.
A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn’t there.
Supernatural perhaps…baloney, perhaps not!
No matter if it is a white cat or a black cat; as long as it can catch mice, it is a good cat.
Since I always go to work as Elvira, maybe a giant version of a cat. A black cat. I love cats and I think Elvira would look really good sitting on one.